Wednesday, January 19, 2011

HomeGoods, My Retail Food/Drug of Choice

This past Monday, the final day of my vacation I decided to do a little shopping, which I always happen to find more enjoyable the less people there are around.

My retail drug of choice happens to be Home Goods. As someone who loves to cook, entertain and style her home, Home Goods is the retail equivalent of Mecca. I constantly find jewels there at low, low prices, which makes me feel less guilty about my spending habits, but I digress.

So, a few months ago, I had noticed that Home Goods AND TJ Maxx had received pretty huge shipments of Le Creuset cookware. They had a selection of French Ovens, Buffet Casseroles, Skillets, Teapots, Sauce pans and Ramekins- pretty much everything, ranging in price from $12 for a set of four ramekins to $250 for the larger 30 cm and 32 cm French Ovens. I’ve been periodically stalking these stores, waiting for a price drop. The prices were already good, but I still couldn’t bring myself to spend $200 on a French Oven. Needless to say, my stalking paid off, on Monday, there was the blue 25 cm French Oven I had been eyeing, priced down to $75! I snatched it up and searched the shelves for other items.


Unfortunately I grabbed the last piece that didn’t have chipped enamel! (this didn’t stop people from buying them as the woman behind me on line had the matching teapot!) With my new French Oven, I also treated myself to a much needed apron. Home Goods had a huge selection of vintage patterned aprons near the tea towels priced at $9.99 so I grabbed the most plain & ruffle free version which was white with a cool multi-colored atomic symbol like design pattern and set off to pay.  The line was massive and Home Goods has perfected the art of marketing towards the impulse purchase buyers. Instead of gum and candy, the checkout aisle is littered with kitchen tools, cookbooks and other assorted home knick knacks—these people know what they are doing! So I added to my purchases, a Casa Bella Microfiber Salad Bag for $3.99 and a cookbook: Feeling Saucy: Sensational Homemade Sauces to Stir Your Senses. I left feeling pretty pleased about my purchases and eager to get that French Oven going! If you’ve never been to a Home Goods store (BLASPHEMY!) and you are a food and cooking enthusiast, I suggest you get your ass there ASAP, and then tell me you don’t become immediately addicted. Le Creuset cooking experience soon to come!


No comments:

Post a Comment