Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Meaty Mac Attack!

I don’t know about you but when speaking of myself, there are two things I am most certain about when it comes to food:  I like Mac N Cheese and I like chili.  So, it’s only natural that I as well as others would try to combine the two to create one supreme, one-pot meal.  I’ve tried a variety of meaty mac recipes and I keep coming back to this one.  It combines well-seasoned ground beef with pasta and cheese for a result that is pretty damn good.  Pasta bakes are a really great option for when you don’t want to slave over a multi-course meal- you just throw everything together into a baking dish, top with cheese and bake!  Your meal is done quickly and covers most food groups.  I’ve baked everything from roasted vegetables with my pasta to variations of pesto pasta with a crunchy topping, traditional mac ‘n cheese & even tortellini with sauce and additional cheese piled on top! The end result of a pasta bake is a transcendent experience:  melty, delicious and hearty!

I’ve been cooking the below Meaty Mac recipe for a good 10 years now.  The recipe is quick, taking under 30 minutes from start to finish to prepare and cook. The added bonus with any pasta bake recipe is copious amounts of leftovers, which I then bring to work with me or eat later in the week. Pasta bakes= cook now & eat for the rest of the week!

Meaty Mac
Makes: 8-10 servings
1 pound box of elbow macaroni (or rotini, penne or WHATEVER you have)
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 cups chopped green bell pepper
2 cups of diced onion
1 to 2 tablespoons chopped garlic (depending on your affinity towards garlic, mine is high)
2 pounds of lean ground beef (80% or better)
3 cups canned crushed tomatoes
Pepper to taste
1 teaspoon each of dried basil, ground cumin, oregano & salt
2-3 cups of grated cheddar

Heat oven to 350 degrees

Cook the macaroni according to package directions, drain and set aside.  Heat the oil in a deep skillet.  Add the peppers, onion and garlic and sauté until soft. Add the ground beef and sauté until browned. Skim or drain some of the fat out of the pot that comes from the beef. Add the tomatoes, salt and pepper, basil, cumin, oregano and salt. Once the beef is cooked and spices are well combined, transfer the beef and pasta into a 9x13 baking dish. Mix well to incorporate beef mixture throughout the pasta and top with the cheese. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until the cheese is slightly browned and bubbly.  Allow to cool for 10 minutes prior to serving.  Top with sour cream and enjoy!



2 comments:

  1. Can't believe I hadn't considered something like this before. But I just got back from work and picked up some items at Western Beef. I'll be serving this for my sisters as dinner this evening, so thanks for the suggestion!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Right on Martin! I'm often at Western Beef myself after work! Hope everyone enjoys it!

    ReplyDelete