Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Meatless Monday ++

I’ve tried to embrace the Meatless Monday movement, really I have and I’ve found that it’s actually relatively easy to make the switch from serving meat focused dishes to going vegetarian or meat free one day a week.  In fact, I’m probably going meatless more than one day a week.  So, if you haven’t heard of the Meatless Monday movement, I encourage you to visit the website, http://www.meatlessmonday.com.  What started as a local movement by a non for profit with Johns Hopkins’ Bloomberg School of Public Health quickly gained legs and has spread both nationwide and globally. Partnering with the Mondays Campaigns, the meatless movement is also a program that is being executed in public schools across the country educating children to make smarter decisions with their health and eating. 

There are many reasons to consume less meat among them, decreased risk of cancer, heart disease, decreased risk of diabetes and lessening your carbon footprint and reducing fossil fuel dependence.  Coming from a family of serious hunter & meat eaters, I can’t say that a vegetarian lifestyle was one that I was EVER introduced to.  In fact, when my brother married a vegetarian my mother admitted to me that she was completely perplexed at holiday parties, at a loss at what to serve the new family member.  I also recently took a vegetarian cooking class and when one of the participants was asked why she was here, she also answered “my son married a vegetarian”, so there is definitely a bit of an education that needs to happen since we’ve been so ingrained as a culture to have meatloaf and potatoes or steak and creamed spinach.  But really, the options available are limitless and all it really takes is a bit more ingenuity to create delicious dishes to enjoy that will leave you not missing meat AT ALL. 

This bean and enchilada recipe is a lighter version of the Mexican food we all know and love, is fast and easy to make and includes a minimal bake time, which is ideal during this heat!  I’ve mentioned previously that I believe that tortillas are a pantry staple as their use is limitless. Right off the top of my head, I can tell you that I use tortillas to make a variety of filled quesadillas, I’ll cut them into triangles sprinkle with sea salt and bake them for quick nacho chips to serve with chili or they will also work in a pinch for lunch wraps. Cheap, long lasting and versatile- hard sell, right?  The sauce that this recipe produces is also great for other uses, I used the excess from this meal to make a tamale pie later in the week and it was delicious.

Bean & Cheese Enchiladas
Serves 8

Ingredients
1 Cup of low-fat cottage cheese
1 Can (15.5oz) of black beans, rinsed and drained
Salt & Pepper
15 Corn Tortillas
Nonstick Cooking Spray
3 Tablespoons Olive oil
3 Garlic cloves, finely diced
1 Large white onion, finely diced (see onion dice tutorial here)
4 Teaspoons Chili Powder
2 Tablespoons White Vinegar
1 Can of Tomato Puree
1 Cup of Vegetable Broth

Directions
Preheat oven to 350°. In a food processor, process the cottage cheese until its smooth.  Transfer the cottage cheese to a bowl and add the drained black beans seasoning with salt and pepper. Wrap your tortillas in dampened paper towel and microwave until soft and warm, 2 minutes. One at a time, spray both sides of each tortilla with cooking spray (typically in Mexican dishes you would drench these in butter) and place about two tablespoons of the cheese & bean mixture down the center and roll your tortilla around the filling. Place tortillas seam side down in your baking dish. Once through with filling, bake your tortillas for about 8-10 minutes.

While your tortillas are baking, make the sauce. Heat oil in a saucepan and add garlic and onion and cook, stirring until the onion softens and becomes translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the chili powder and whisk in the vinegar, tomato puree and broth, bring the whole mixture to a simmer and cook for five more minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Transfer the mixture to blender after it is slightly cooled and puree until smooth, using CAUTION with hot liquids in the blender!



To serve spoon the sauce over the enchiladas. I also like to make a salsa variant that I picked up at a Peruvian restaurant recently. I dice tomatoes, and a jalapeno pepper (I remove the seeds but you can leave them for extra heat), thinly slice up purple onion and add the juice of one lime, seasoning liberally with sea salt. I usually make this before cooking to give it sufficient time to marinate. This “salsa” is such a fresh, lively addition to ANY dish but I particularly love it in lieu of traditional salsa or served with a nice skirt steak. YUM.



2 comments:

  1. Regarding your previous entry with the bananas, I totally wanted to try it out the other day and picked up a bunch from The Beef. Of course I had to run to work and, not thinking clearly, I just left two of them in the freezer.

    It wasn't until I read your entry again that I realized I'd failed to peel and cut the bananas, and that you'd recommended leaving them in for 3 hours, and not 3 days. Oops!
    Leave it to me to screw something so simple up. But I shall try again...

    This post, however, reminded me of 'enfrijoladas', which they'll sometimes serve as a lunch special at work.
    If you're not familiar with those, they're basically enchiladas served in a bean sauce.

    At work they'll be stuffed with either chicken, pork or cheddar cheese, covered in a blended pinto bean sauce, and topped off with crema, lettuce, queso cotija & 2 eggs.

    Of course if you want the ultimate version, I'd suggest using pepper jack or queso fresco on top, as well as chopped red onions & cilantro, and some avocado slices.

    Damn, sounds like a good dinner meal for tomorrow...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Martin, you kill me! I actually did the same thing with my last batch of bananas, left them in the fridge too long!
    Listen I'm all for FULL fat enchilada recipes- and topped with crema, cotija AND eggs, sign me up as long as someone else is cooking it ;)
    It's been damn hot out and THIS sister doesn't want to come home and sweat over the range when it's 100 degrees out...you know what I'm saying. I need the lunch plan you are on though...my company just provides us with Diet Coke.

    ReplyDelete